Pasta making is a weekly activity for the Mercato family. Every Monday our pasta making matriarchs spend the morning making our customers a week's worth of fresh cavatelli pasta. This pasta is available all the time in our freezer section and as a lunch time special in Bar Mercato.
Fresh pasta can be easily made at home. It just requires some time, patience and the correct equipment.
250g Granoro '00' Flour
250g Granoro Semola
10mL Mercato Olive Oil
Pinch of salt
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and knead for 15 minutes until dough is smooth. Wrap in cling film and rest for 30 minutes
- Attach the pasta machine to the side of a workbench and adjust the machine's rollers to the widest setting. Spread about 4 clean, dry tea towels over the work surface close to the pasta machine
- Unwrap a portion of dough and use the palm of your hands to flatten it into a rectangle. Dust the rollers with flour and roll the dough portion through. Dust again with flour and repeat on the same setting
- Fold in the shorter sides of the dough to meet in the center to form a smaller rectangle and feed through the machine again Repeat this process 5-6 times or until smooth
- Reduce the width between the rollers by 1 and roll the dough through as before. Repeat the process, reducing the setting each time until the dough is 1-1.5mm thick.The settings on all pasta machines vary
- Once you have the desired thickness you pass the pasta sheets through the desired cutter, use as sheets or fill with your favourite filling.
TIP: The last setting on some machines may roll the dough too thin, resulting in it sticking to the rollers and tearing. So be careful to only reduce the setting and roll the dough until it reaches the desired thickness usually between 2-3 setting
This pasta can be frozen for 3 months.