The Perfect Margherita Pizza
- 1kg Caputo Flour
- 12g Yeast
- 550g Lukewarm Water
- 17g Salt
- 17g Sugar
- 35g Olive Oil - Mercato recommends Elisi
- 1 Bottle Mercato Home-Made Passata
- 500g Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Bunch Basil
1. First things first, the dough (because a pizza is all about the dough). In a large mixing bowl combine your water, yeast & sugar. Once mixed, add in the flour & salt. Mix until all the ingredients come together & form a rough dough.
2. Turn your dough out onto the bench and knead for about 5 minutes. Work in the olive oil & continue kneading until dough is smooth and glossy.
3. Once your dough is ready, portion it into 300gm balls & rest for 2-4 hours (until it doubles in size).
4. Preheat your oven as high as it can go and place your preferred trays in to heat.
*If using your dough on the day, rest at room temp & cover with a tea towel. If using the next day place in a container & leave in the fridge over night. Ensure you allow the dough to come to room temp before using.*
5. Take a dough portion & start to stretch or roll to your desired thickness. Place on a piece of baking paper
6. Now for the fun part! Topping your pizza. Spread your pizza sauce on the base, making sure you don’t go too close to the edge. Top with your mozzarella & any other toppings you wish & get creative.
7. Remove your preheated tray from the oven & slide the pizza (with baking paper) onto the tray. Putting it on a hot tray allows direct heat into the base & ensures it's cook properly.
8. Your pizza should bake for about 8 to 10 minutes (perfect amount of time to have your first glass of wine). Once pizza has coloured & is nice & golden brown remove from the oven, top with fresh basil leaves & a drizzle of olive oil.
9. We lied, this is actually the fun part! Buon Appetito!
If you don’t use all the bases you can turn them into FOCACCIA
- Take the base & place on baking tray with baking paper.
- Press your fingers into the dough creating little pockets & drizzle with olive oil.
- Let dough rest on the bench for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, & your preferred herbs (we love a good sprig of rosemary).
- Now bake in your oven at 220 degrees until golden brown.